Saturday, January 10, 2009

Only in Kansas

What a difference a day makes. Or even 2 hours. The temperature went from 61 degrees to 40 degrees in under 2 hours yesterday. Today, baby it's cold outside. And of course the Kansas wind is blowing like crazy.

Earlier this week we had three, yes three large trees cut down in our backyard. Each one was probably over 20 feet high. It was fairly inexpensive to have them cut down and just left on the ground. That means of course that someone has to cut up and haul away all that wood. Guess who!??? So Bruce and and I began this huge backyard clean up. Well just like everything else, the project mushroomed on us. In order to get the wood hauled off out of the backyard, we needed to clean out the dogpen area. Yes again! It is amazing how quickly a family gathers crap that finds its way to the dogpen. What would we do with this stuff otherwise.

So we loaded a broken computer monitor, flat tire, old hoses, two wooden pallets, used oil, old paint and light fixtures away to the dump. After returning from the dump, all those collected leaves from the tons of trees we have had to be sucked up.

So that got started. Then of course, there were problems with the sucker-vac. So thinking I could still be productive, I went to the back with one of our large trash cans and started cutting up some of the smaller limbs and filling the can. After 4 cans full, I finally saw grass again. So I grabbed the rake and started "prettying" up a section of my yard again. Bruce has fixed the sucker and is gathering leaves like mad.

Sooooo, when as I am raking up this section of yard and fall over a large limb still on the ground around me and hit my head on one of the concrete walk pavers in our backyard, Bruce doesn't hear me. I lay there for a minute. Realize once again nothing much is hurt but my dignity. Thank God our yard is fenced! I slowly get up and continue on with my task.

Well, a day later I felt the effects, let me tell you. My neck and shoulder were screaming at me. So now I have an appointment for the chiropractor, but not till after the weekend. I don't think I could stand anyone to do any kind of adjusting right now. This morning is much better than yesterday, so by Monday I should be up to the appointment.

Since it is so cold out, I am finally taking down Christmas today. Bruce hauled up the boxes and I am ready to start. Wish me luck. Every season after taking down Christmas, I usually get the urge to "update" redecorate. Sooo, I am sure I see a trip to Hobby Lobby in my future. And since we are going to Sam's later today, it's right on the way -----right?

It's been a good week. And again let me state for the record, I worked 46 hours in the last two weeks and made as much as working 70 hours at Scrapbook Garden. WOW!!!! Plus I had all that time off with Alicia and Rob. And not once did I have to hear Bob complain about possibly having to work in his OWN store to help cover shifts. Some things in life just give you a new view, don't they? Simply Blissful!


a chick named Toni... said...

Oh my goodness I am tired after hearing all the work you did so I can't imagine how tired you are! I am glad that you didn't break anything on your fall but it sucks that you are huring! Try a nice hot bath in Epsom Salts that usually helps take the soreness out of muscles. I hope you get a good night's sleep though. At least you got a lot accomplished in the yard. That has to make you feel good!

Ins't it amazing...your new guilt! Love it!

Michelle said...

OUCH! Well you know I know how you're feeling! Heat on the neck helped me A LOT! If you don't have one of those microwave "bed buddy" things then throw some ice in a sock and nuke it and then throw ( gingerly) it on your neck!